Overcoming Obstacles

This message was first delivered at Court Street United Methodist Church in Lynchburg, Virginia on June 24, 2018. It is based on the lectionary texts of 1 Samuel 17, 2 Corinthians 6:1-13 and Mark 4:35-41

Overcoming Obstacles

On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.” And leaving the crowd behind, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. Other boats were with him. A great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped. But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm. He said to them, “Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?” And they were filled with great awe and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”

Teacher, don't you care that we are perishing? Does he care? Oh disciples, do we even need to ask? He cares deeply and mourns with us as we struggle but he asks us – why are you afraid? Have you forgotten my promises so quickly? Do you still have no faith?

Obstacles, trials, hardships, struggles – they come in so many shapes and sizes. But in the midst of the storm, problems seem 10 feet tall and mockingly impossible. I'm glad that I've never had to be in battle against a literal giant...I'm not much of a fighter. I took some karate classes in my twenties and managed to break my own finger so bad that I had to have surgery to put it back together. There are two tiny screws in my left pinky.

Physical battles are rarely the struggles that most of us go through, but our battles are no less real. Today's lectionary scripture from 2 Corinthians includes a list of challenges that Paul knew the early church was dealing with: beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, sleepless nights and hunger. We know that globally people face persecution, abuse and horrors we can scarcely imagine...much less imagine how to endure. In our country there are people suffering from unemployment, family strife, medical issues, financial worries. We do not have to look far to see Goliaths all around us. Somebody wake up Jesus! How can he be sleeping at a time like this?

Saul and the Israelites were feeling defeated. They've been in a stalemate for 40 days while this huge Philistine came out daily to mock and challenge them. It was so bad that Saul had offered a great ransom, including his daughter to anyone who could rid them of Goliath. The army of Israel, the people of God had lost all hope.

I think we can all relate the the feeling of hopelessness. We have all faced our own Goliaths...maybe you've tackled a big one like an abusive spouse or parent, alcoholism, drug addiction or smoking! Maybe it is the collective pressure of a bunch of little Goliaths. I don't know if you've ever heard this particular question to ponder – but spend a moment to decide, “Would you rather face 1 horse-sized duck or 100 duck-sized horses?” Google that later to see what some other people have thought on the topic. My point is – even small challenges get overwhelming when that stack up all at once.

Maybe you haven't tackled what others would call BIG – I'm glad for all of us who haven't been homeless or divorced or lost a child – but all those duck-sized horses can wear you down until you are in the same hopeless state that Saul and his army were in. And the disciples in the boat were in. And we cry out...like Saul, “can't someone rise up against the Philistine? I'll reward you beyond your wildest dreams!” and we cry out like the disciples in the boat, “where are you God? Don't you even care?”

David was not in the army. He wasn't at the front – he was home tending to things there when his Dad told him to take some provisions up to his brothers and the king. When he gets there he is offended by this Goliath and wonders out loud why somebody hasn't done something...and his brothers basically tell him to stop bothering the important soldiers and go home. But David has another idea – why not him?

And here we hit on the first step in tackling our Goliath – we've got to be willing to make a start. To step out and change things. To stand up against some form of evil or oppression. To stand up for what is right even when it isn't easy or comfortable to do so. David was willing and he went to Saul to tell him he was ready to go up against the Philistine. And Saul said, you can't do it...you're too inexperienced, you're too young, you can't accomplish this. Look how big that guy is! He's been at this for longer than you've been alive. You shouldn't even try. Saul may think that he's doing the right thing – this kid doesn't know what he's up against.

Yep...when you try to affect change in the world or in your life, you're going to run into some Sauls. Maybe you're excited that you've decided to start going to the gym on Monday and you tell your friend but the first thing he says is, “well, we'll see how long that lasts.” Or you finally decide you'll step out on faith and begin a new Bible study and you talk about it in a church council meeting and you hear, “nobody will come out on that day” or “Bob tried that years ago and it fell flat” or “what makes you qualified to teach a Bible study?”

David is stronger than I think I would have been – he just looks at Saul and says, “I can do this.” And he backs up his claim with some of his experiences as a shepherd. Which is a much more challenging job than the pastoral picture in my mind. I always thought I'd like to be a shepherd. Sitting around in a field with sheep, getting my tan on...reading some books or playing my lyre...learning to play the lyre.... Sheep softly baa'ing while I take a nap under a tree. Uh yeah... Apparently shepherding is nothing like that! You've got to keep these stubborn and stupid creatures from wandering off cliffs, moving them around to fresh grass that needs to be someplace near fresh water, and it gets hot during the day and super cold at night...and I expect that the sheep don't just softly baa. I expect that it is like having a herd of 5 year old kids – all wanting to go in different directions, somebody needing a bandaid and another needing a juice box and we won't even get into what the smell would be like (herd of kids OR sheep!). On top of that David explains to Saul that there are predators that attack like lions and bears! Nope, not for me.

David says that he's faced tough stuff before and that God-of-the-Angel-Armies has always delivered him. He's not afraid of the lion or the bear and he's not going to let this pig continue to disrespect his God. Bring it on. And Saul agrees.

So, the first step was to be willing to make a change. The next step is going to be telling the Sauls to step aside. And sometimes the voice of Saul is coming from inside our own head. David was faithful and strong – he is ready. When I face my Goliaths...sometimes I'm bringing the voice of Saul right along with me. And sometimes he's telling me that I'd better be careful.

Saul puts his very own armor on David. Saul says, “if you're gonna do this, you'd better do it this way.” And David gives it a try. But it isn't a good fit. With this big bronze helmet and the armor and Saul's own sword...David can barely move. He's going at the problem the wrong way for him – he's got to say to Saul, “this isn't for me.”

How often have we face problems or tough situations to have others say, “here is how I would fix that” and “I went through something similar and this is the way to come through it.” Or, how often have WE been the Saul in someone else's storm?

My brother is a wise man (well, only sometimes) who has told me more than once, “sometimes people just need to tell you their problems.”

I'm a natural born troubleshooter. I worked for a number of years as a video engineer for a VHS duplication house. Parents, explain to the kids what a VCR is later. We ran 300 tapes at a time and my job was to keep signals going to all 300 machines. I approach all problems with the same process – start at one and and work your way to the other and you'll find the source of the difficulty along the path. That's my process. My suit of armor.

David couldn't fight Goliath in the same way that Saul would. And not everyone will quit smoking the same way or cope with loneliness the same way or deal with the loss of a beloved pet the same way. We all want to be so helpful...oh, the best way to get over the loss of your cat is to throw away all her toys and stuff so you don't have to face them. No, the best way is to get another cat. No, you should...

You get the point. We've got to put on our own armor and stop trying to put our armor on others. Doesn't mean we don't love and support and grieve and brainstorm and cope together – just going to have to respect that my way isn't the only way. It's not even necessarily the better way, no matter what I think!

So David takes off Saul's armor. And he takes his staff and sling and five smooth stones from a nearby brook and he heads out. Despite the warnings. Despite the doubts. Despite the lack of military might. David keeps on going. Some would call it determination. Others would call it foolhardy. I can tell you what Goliath thought. He thinks this is hilarious and insulting.

Am I a dog that you come after me with a stick?” he sneers. He curses him and basically says he's going to feed him to the buzzards and field mice. I've faced problems like that – I walk toward them with the confidence of someone who wants to make a change. And the problem looks at me and says, “determination? Is that all you got?”

But determination isn't all David has. He's got some ammunition. He's got some weapons against this problem. Along the way he's picked up five smooth stones, five instruments – not defensive but offensive! What are your stones – your tools against the challenges? I'll suggest a few, but you'll have to get your own stones from the stream.

My first stone is Courage. David was not afraid to face the enemy. I am almost always afraid to face the enemy, continuing to face those fears is the definition of courage. You're going to need that to face the giants in your life. Where do we find courage though? Unlike the lion in the Wizard of Oz, I don't think that just pinning a medal to my chest will give me courage. But what I learned from that furry example is that if you keep going even when fear tells you to turn around and run...you have found courage. And every time you do it, your courage builds.

My second stone is Confidence. Which I had to dig out of a deep muddy hole of self-doubt. But I'm learning that being confident in my abilities isn't the same as the sin of pride – so now I'm learning to embrace my abilities.

Most of us have encountered people who turn away every compliment. You tell them, “gosh, I really appreciated the way you explained that” and they say “oh, it was nothing.” “You look so great today!” “oh, you need an eye exam.” Stop it. False humility robs others of the chance to encourage you and robs you of the confidence building power of having accomplishments. I'm going to build my confidence later by just saying thank you when people tell me what a great job I did leading worship today!

My third stone is Preparation. If we are going into battle with our courage and confidence, we'll have more impact if we know what we are up against. If I'm going to quit drinking then I need to know what I'm going to face emotionally and physically. I'm going to prepare by communicating with others who have faced the same Goliath. I'm going to recognize the storm ahead and go into prepared. Just like I don't come into the sanctuary today and just say, “well, God will provide the words...so I'll just open my mouth and see what comes out.” Maybe that is YOUR set of armor, it doesn't fit me. I'm going into this battle with my eyes open but willing to let go of my battle plan if God so guides.

Because my fourth stone is Trust. At some point, I've got to let go of my plan and trust God. Sometimes I keep that stone behind glass and I'm reluctant to pull out the little hammer and break it out. I want to run around and keep all the plates spinning myself! I got this God!! You worry about the other people, I'll call on my Trust rock when I really, really, really need it. I'm so foolish.

David didn't trust in his own ability to slay the giant. When Goliath shouted at David, cursed him and was ready to kill him, David said, “You come at me with a sword and a spear, but I come to you in the name of the Lord God Almighty.” He trusted God to fulfill his promise to be with him through all the trials of life. He knew this God had delivered him before and would not abandon him now.

So David steps out confidently and announces that he has come in the name of the Lord and that God hand Goliath over to him. He states with confidence what he is about to do – I'm about to kill you, cut off your head and serve up your body (and the bodies of your pals) to crows and coyotes. Hello, my name is David, you mocked my God...prepare to die.

He goes on to tell this Goliath that his death will be a sign to the whole Earth that this God, the God of Israel is extraordinary. And Goliath is done with this pest. Enough with your sticks and stones, little boy. And he lunges for David. And as crazy as it sounds – while Goliath is running at David, David starts running at the Philistine!!

And he reaches in and pulls out a stone, loads it in the sling, and lets it fly.

The rock embeds itself in Goliath's forehead and he falls facedown in the dirt. As quickly as the battle began, it is over. David is the victor and Goliath is defeated. I can imagine stunned silence followed by gasps then cheers!

How about us? Who or what are our Goliaths? Maybe you cope with one of those “big” obstacles or a hundred duck-sized horses. Perhaps your giants are fear, insecurity, loneliness or failure. Maybe you want to make a change but you aren't even sure where to start!

Start by deciding to start. Figure out that you don't want things to continue the way that they are. Maybe you want to find ways to be kinder to yourself. Maybe you want to make a big impact in the community. Maybe you want closer relationships. Identify your Goliath and say, “I'm coming after you.”

Then you'll face your Sauls and at some point you may even have to hand their armor and advice back and say “thanks, but this just doesn't fit me.” And then you'll set out to begin the battle.

Go armed, find your five smooth stones. But make sure that at least one of them is grounded in God. Maybe they all are... trusting in God to see you through the storm. Knowing that he DOES care about your struggles. He cares enough about you as a person to allow you to grow through challenges and strife – but that through it all he is right there. He CAN calm the storm. When you turn toward God, you will find that he has been there all along, supporting and guiding you as you grow. As you change yourself and the world around you. Don't get lost in hopelessness. Embrace the God who stilled the storm...and then step back in wonder and awe as you witness his power in every situation. Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment