Go Team Go!

This message was first delivered at Cove United Methodist Church in Coleman Falls, Virginia on May 8, 2016. It is based on the lectionary texts of Luke 24:44-49 and Acts 1:1-11.

Today is the day that we celebrate Ascension Sunday. Ascension Day was actually Thursday. The is actually one of the few feast days from the Anglican calendar that John Wesley retained for use by Methodists. The other two were Good Friday and Christmas Day – all other non-Sunday holy days were eliminated. Wesley wrote in the preface to The Sunday Service of the Methodists in North America that the others “at present answering no valuable end.” For Wesley, then, there was no doubt Ascension Day served a valuable end. It was not merely because it was a marker in the life of Christ or the history of the church. After all, Mr. Wesley omitted Maundy Thursday as well. Ascension marked not just something about Jesus or the church, but about the scope of salvation for the whole universe. Victorious over sin and death through cross and Resurrection, Jesus, 40 days after his Resurrection, ascended to heaven to assume the fullness of his reign.

Both the ascension and the 40 days are important. Throughout the 40 days, a time period denoting preparation for a momentous new era to come, Jesus made numerous appearances to his disciples and to others, both to show he was indeed risen and to teach them more about their upcoming roles as apostles, those sent forth to proclaim repentance and forgiveness of sins in Christ’s name among all the peoples of the earth.

So it was time for his full enthronement at the Father’s right hand. This is why our psalm for this day was an enthronement psalm. We sing it or pray it or embody it in some way this day in celebration that Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, is enthroned at the right hand of the Father as Lord and Judge of the living and the dead. All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to him, and he exercises that authority fully in preparation for the day when he returns to complete the renewal of all things.

The church calendar has several periods of preparation, ones that we easily recognize like Advent and Lent – others are more subtle. This period between Easter and next week's celebration of Pentecost remind me of Spring Training. Although I've never been a huge baseball fan – one of my favorite pastors counted down the days to Spring Training every year. I wasn't exactly cut from my childhood softball team – but my coach's advice was to stand still and never swing the bat. Being shorter than most of the other players, it was almost a given that I would walk to first base. I was praised for being the coach's “good little statue.” Not exactly a foundation for becoming a great softball player, but I did get to be a part of the team.

During his final session of training his disciples – what did Coach Jesus have to say to his team? During this 40 days before his departure, what advice did he have for them? Some of it was very individual – he told Thomas that it was okay to doubt, but that those who believed without seeing were blessed. He had a long heart-to-heart with Peter about loving. He asked Peter if he loved him. THREE times! That's when he told Peter to tend his sheep. And to follow him. And Coach Jesus spoke in the presence of John about his authority. Peter asked Jesus about what John's role was to be – in John 21 starting in verse 21, Peter said, “Lord, what about him?” Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? Follow me!” So the rumor spread in the community that this disciple (John) would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?”

Coach Jesus telling one player that what he decided about another player's role wasn't any of his concern. If you've ever coached a team or led a group task or directed a play...you know there is often an extra coach or two that you didn't count on. Maybe you've had a Peter under your direction...asking you “what about that guy?” and you've had to say “that guy is going to do what I need him to do, why don't you just focus on your own area?”

Some of what the coach had to say was for all the disciples. Indeed, if we examine the scripture lessons for today...we see directions and advice. Luke 24:44-49 from The Message reads: Then he (Jesus) said, “Everything I told you while I was with you comes to this: All the things written about me in the Law of Moses, in the Prophets, and in the Psalms have to be fulfilled.” He went on to open their understanding of the Word of God, showing them how to read their Bibles this way. He said, “You can see now how it is written that the Messiah suffers, rises from the dead on the third day, and then a total life-change through the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed in his name to all nations—starting from here, from Jerusalem! You’re the first to hear and see it. You’re the witnesses. What comes next is very important: I am sending what my Father promised to you, so stay here in the city until he arrives, until you’re equipped with power from on high.”

This is one of those afternoons I'd love to be able to be a part of. Along with the pair who got to have Jesus explain the scriptures and how present circumstances were fulfillment of the prophets' foretelling as they walked on the road to Emmaus. Or to be in the chariot with Philip as he explained scripture to the Ethiopian Eunuch. Such incredible opportunities for good coaching.

Jesus fills his last days with encouragement and advice and warnings to stay focused. He knew that his team had a tendency to miss the mark. He knew they could be like a 10 year old girl in right field...watching butterflies flutter and ants march with small bits of french fry to their homes. Jesus knew we'd get distracted by the world around us. And he was so right...

Acts 1:1-11 retells the story of Ascension Day – and Jesus' team, moments before the coach is ready to withdraw and leave the game to the players he's prepared – ask if this is the time he's going to restore the Kingdom to Israel. I can almost see Jesus smacking himself in the forehead. No wonder he tells them to wait for the Holy Spirit!

Instead he patiently reminds them that they don't get to know the timing. That's for the Father to know. And he lets them know that help is coming...wait for it. In Luke he says YOU are the witnesses! When you have the power that was promised, you'll spread the word. You'll have everything you need to change the world. And then he ascends. And the disciples stare at the sky.

I wonder how each of them felt. Did they feel lost? Alone? Excited? Mournful or amazed? Prepared for the spiritual battles ahead? Overwhelmed? Was Peter ready to build a monument? Was John longing to have one more conversation with Jesus? Did they understand the significance of the moment?

They just stood there. Until they got a gentle reminder from two men in white. They said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” The Message says it more plainly: They said, “You Galileans!—why do you just stand here looking up at an empty sky? This very Jesus who was taken up from among you to heaven will come as certainly—and mysteriously—as he left.”

If you've ever read the Harry Potter books, you'll recall that in the last book Harry is searching for the last Horcrux (spoiler alert!). He has returned to his beloved Hogwarts and the battle is about to begin between the forces of good and evil. Harry is enjoying being back in a place that he loves, surrounded by friends and basking in joy of being so close to his goal. His supporters are getting prepared to battle to give him the time he needs to locate this last piece. His no nonsense teacher walks up to him and says, “don't you have something you should be looking for?” Oh...right...and he gets back to work.

Sometimes the empty sky we are staring at isn't just sky. Sometimes it is the world or work or commitments or even basking in the glow of everything that is going right! Or butterflies and ants. And we need to be reminded – “hey church, isn't there something you're supposed to be doing? Why are you staring at the sky?” Get to work! Get off the bench and be ready to play the game!

You've got what you need. You know what you're supposed to be doing. What's the holdup? Or maybe you don't feel like you're prepared...let's examine a locker room pep talk from Jesus...see if that gets you ready.

The setting is the Last Supper. Feet have been washed. Judas has exited. Jesus has told Peter he will deny him. Thomas wants to follow but doesn't know the way. Philip tells Jesus that if he'll just show them The Father, they'll be content. Jesus, with incredible patience, explains that if Philip sees him, he sees the Father. That the Father is in him and he is in the Father. I can just see the glazed look on Philip's face.

Jesus goes on to state a lot of important stuff – not just for the disciples, but for us:
If you love me, show it by doing what I've told you.”
I'll ask the Father to send you another Friend, so that you'll always have someone with you. This Spirit of Truth won't be taken in by the world because it doesn't have eyes to see this spirit...but you'll know and embrace this Spirit.”
I won't leave you orphaned. I'm coming back.”
A loveless world is a sightless world. If anyone loves me, he will keep my Word and my Father will love him.”
Live in me.”
Let my joy be your joy.”

He warned the disciples that the world wasn't going to be easy. He reminded them that servants aren't treated better than their masters. If the world beat up on Jesus, the world was not going to take it easy on his followers. The world would hate them too. John 15:21-25 says it clearly: “They are going to do all these things to you because of the way they treated me, because they don’t know the One who sent me. If I hadn’t come and told them all this in plain language, it wouldn’t be so bad. As it is, they have no excuse. Hate me, hate my Father—it’s all the same. If I hadn’t done what I have done among them, works no one has ever done, they wouldn’t be to blame. But they saw the God-signs and hated anyway, both me and my Father. Interesting—they have verified the truth of their own Scriptures where it is written, ‘They hated me for no good reason.’

Fulfillment of scripture. The glory of the Messiah, the stubborn heart of Man, the betrayal and hatred from the world. The good, the bad and the ugly. God help our unbelief.

But Jesus, despite our hard heads and hard hearts, provided all that his disciples needed. He did send the power of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost – which we will celebrate next week. Jesus taught and illustrated and told stories and related all that he was about. And the church was born. And despite what the world may say, the church is still very much alive today. And the world needs the church...as an extension of the love from the Father.

In my reading and studying for this message, I came across a passage in John that I did not know well...but I may have parts of it tattooed on my body so I can be reminded. John 17 is a prayer by Jesus for his followers. Listen closely to see what is has in it for you today:
Then, raising his eyes in prayer, he said:
Father, it’s time.
Display the bright splendor of your Son
So the Son in turn may show your bright splendor.
You put him in charge of everything human
So he might give real and eternal life to all in his charge.
And this is the real and eternal life:
That they know you,
The one and only true God,
And Jesus Christ, whom you sent.
I glorified you on earth
By completing down to the last detail
What you assigned me to do.
And now, Father, glorify me with your very own splendor,
The very splendor I had in your presence
Before there was a world.

Father, I spelled out your character in detail
To the men and women you gave me.
They were yours in the first place;
Then you gave them to me,
And they have now done what you said.
They know now, beyond the shadow of a doubt,
That everything you gave me is firsthand from you,
For the message you gave me, I gave them;
And they took it, and were convinced
That I came from you.
They believed that you sent me.
I pray for them.
I’m not praying for the God-rejecting world
But for those you gave me,
For they are yours by right.
Everything mine is yours, and yours mine,
And my life is on display in them.
For I’m no longer going to be visible in the world;
They’ll continue in the world
While I return to you.
Holy Father, guard them as they pursue this life
That you conferred as a gift through me,
So they can be one heart and mind
As we are one heart and mind.
As long as I was with them, I guarded them
In the pursuit of the life you gave through me;
I even posted a night watch.
And not one of them got away,
Except for the rebel bent on destruction
(the exception that proved the rule of Scripture).

Now I’m returning to you.
I’m saying these things in the world’s hearing
So my people can experience
My joy completed in them.
I gave them your word;
The godless world hated them because of it,
Because they didn’t join the world’s ways,
Just as I didn’t join the world’s ways.
I’m not asking that you take them out of the world
But that you guard them from the Evil One.
They are no more defined by the world
Than I am defined by the world.
Make them holy—consecrated—with the truth;
Your word is consecrating truth.
In the same way that you gave me a mission in the world,
I give them a mission in the world.
I’m consecrating myself for their sakes
So they’ll be truth-consecrated in their mission.

I’m praying not only for them
But also for those who will believe in me
Because of them and their witness about me.
The goal is for all of them to become one heart and mind—
Just as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
So they might be one heart and mind with us.
Then the world might believe that you, in fact, sent me.
The same glory you gave me, I gave them,
So they’ll be as unified and together as we are—
I in them and you in me.
Then they’ll be mature in this oneness,
And give the godless world evidence
That you’ve sent me and loved them
In the same way you’ve loved me.

Father, I want those you gave me
To be with me, right where I am,
So they can see my glory, the splendor you gave me,
Having loved me
Long before there ever was a world.
Righteous Father, the world has never known you,
But I have known you, and these disciples know
That you sent me on this mission.
I have made your very being known to them—
Who you are and what you do—
And continue to make it known,
So that your love for me
Might be in them
Exactly as I am in them.

And now, we are “the rest of the story.” We are the followers that Jesus prayed for and continues to advocate for. We have our mission. It isn't complicated. Tell the story. That Jesus came down from heaven and died for our sins. And he ascended to heaven and sent the Holy Spirit to guide us and be with us. To comfort and when we are too comfortable...to discomfort. We know the strategy he conveyed – love one another just as he loved us. Love all the people. All the time. Even the ones who aren't easy to love – the ones who reject love, the ones who the world would say don't deserve love, the ones who haven't experienced your love AND the ones whose experiences with love haven't been good.


We've got the mission, the tools, the playbook and the one the Jesus promised. Time to stop staring at the empty sky and get back in the game. Called to BE the church. Let's see some teamwork! Good hustle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment