Made Worthy by Grace

This message was first delivered at Forest United Methodist Church in Forest, Virginia on March 6, 2016. It is based on the lectionary text of Luke 15:1-3, 11-32.


Familiarity with a story can have two different effects. On the one hand, it might lead us to “tune it out” because we think we know it already. On the other hand, if it is told well, it may invite us to “tune in” more deeply and cause us to become aware of aspects of it we may have overlooked in the past.

The difference is both in the telling and in the hearing.

I have 3 nephews and a niece and as their favorite aunt, I've read and told a lot of bedtime stories. Often they are the ones they want to hear over and over. I quickly learned two things about these stories. One was that I needed to tell them well, with passion and care.

The other was that I needed to tell them roughly the same way every time. I couldn’t change any details, or even any words of the story. They were quick to correct me, and none too happy about having to do so, if I did change anything.

They don't mind hearing the story over and over again. But trying to change up the story, or reading it with anything less than passion, grace, and care did. And the contempt was not against the story, but against me!

Nor did this familiarity breed boredom. Instead, it continued to open their imaginations more and more each time.

So before offering commentary on the story itself, I want to encourage you to think of this familiar story with the open imagination of a child. Be careful, eager listeners like my niece and nephews. Put yourself fully into the story. Who do you relate to the most? Are you like the prodigal son who feels ready to take on the world, only to find the world has a way of fighting back that we aren't prepared for? Are you like the father, willing to show mercy? Or maybe you relate more to the son who stayed faithful and feels cheated when the father embraces his stupid brother? Wherever you see yourself in the story...and for me, it is a little of all three...I want you to hear it one more time, from Peterson's The Message:

Luke 15:1-3, 11-32: By this time a lot of men and women of doubtful reputation were hanging around Jesus, listening intently. The Pharisees and religion scholars were not pleased, not at all pleased. They growled, “He takes in sinners and eats meals with them, treating them like old friends.” Their grumbling triggered this story. (after telling the parables of the Lost Sheep and Lost Coin) Then Jesus said, “There was once a man who had two sons. The younger said to his father, ‘Father, I want right now what’s coming to me.’

So the father divided the property between them. It wasn’t long before the younger son packed his bags and left for a distant country. There, undisciplined and dissipated, he wasted everything he had. After he had gone through all his money, there was a bad famine all through that country and he began to hurt. He signed on with a citizen there who assigned him to his fields to slop the pigs. He was so hungry he would have eaten the corncobs in the pig slop, but no one would give him any.

That brought him to his senses. He said, ‘All those farmhands working for my father sit down to three meals a day, and here I am starving to death. I’m going back to my father. I’ll say to him, Father, I’ve sinned against God, I’ve sinned before you; I don’t deserve to be called your son. Take me on as a hired hand.’ He got right up and went home to his father.

When he was still a long way off, his father saw him. His heart pounding, he ran out, embraced him, and kissed him. The son started his speech: ‘Father, I’ve sinned against God, I’ve sinned before you; I don’t deserve to be called your son ever again.’

But the father wasn’t listening. He was calling to the servants, ‘Quick. Bring a clean set of clothes and dress him. Put the family ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Then get a grain-fed heifer and roast it. We’re going to feast! We’re going to have a wonderful time! My son is here—given up for dead and now alive! Given up for lost and now found!’ And they began to have a wonderful time.

All this time his older son was out in the field. When the day’s work was done he came in. As he approached the house, he heard the music and dancing. Calling over one of the houseboys, he asked what was going on. He told him, ‘Your brother came home. Your father has ordered a feast—barbecued beef!—because he has him home safe and sound.’

The older brother stalked off in an angry sulk and refused to join in. His father came out and tried to talk to him, but he wouldn’t listen. The son said, ‘Look how many years I’ve stayed here serving you, never giving you one moment of grief, but have you ever thrown a party for me and my friends? Then this son of yours who has thrown away your money on whores shows up and you go all out with a feast!’

His father said, ‘Son, you don’t understand. You’re with me all the time, and everything that is mine is yours—but this is a wonderful time, and we had to celebrate. This brother of yours was dead, and he’s alive! He was lost, and he’s found!’”

And that's the story. We don't know what happened next – one of my sisters would invite the kids to use their imagination to tell what happened to the two sons and their father. My niece would have them in a castle riding out into the countryside on horses and finding princesses to love. Her twin brother would probably add in some new challenges like dragons or robots...or robot dragons! But Jesus leaves the story right where it ends. And we find ourselves in the three main characters.

The older son is one we don't get to know very well in the story. We can see clearly that he is loved by his father. He is a hard worker, he is faithful, he does what he is supposed to do. And much like me, he gets ticked off when he feels like he has been taken advantage of. I'm sympathetic to him. He is the older brother, he stays behind to take care of things, like a good responsible son. He went to work every day...maybe he got the occasional postcard from his foolish brother, “Having a great time. Living it up!” maybe sometimes his younger brother would have even encouraged him to “Come join the fun! Live it up with me! Why are you working so hard? Life is great out here.” But then the famine came and work at home would have been harder. And the good responsible son made sure that the hired hands got paid and fed. He stayed and made sure his father's estate continued to be prosperous. And one day he comes home from work and finds his father throwing a party...and then he finds out it is for his useless and unworthy brother. I think any of us would be at least irritated. He is full-on angry. He stalks off, so that his father has to chase him down. He doesn't want to hear it. He angrily asks his father why his brother gets the party. “Look how many years I’ve stayed here serving you, never giving you one moment of grief, but have you ever thrown a party for me and my friends? Then this son of yours who has thrown away your money on whores shows up and you go all out with a feast!” What is up with that, Dad? Don't you see how unfair that is?

I relate to that. It is easy to look around with judgment and see how much better I am than my worthless brother! Well...my biological brother isn't that worthless. But I am guilty of feeling like the older brother sometimes. For example – I work with Centenary's after-school program on Thursday nights. We have as many as 45-50 neighborhood kids each week for Bible study, games, life skills sessions (and pizza). I'm there every week. I'm the good child. And then somebody comes and fills in for a regular volunteer and everybody tells them how wonderful it is to have them and how grateful we are they are helping out. Really? Shouldn't I get rings on my fingers and a fatted calf then? They are just showing up now? We've been doing this program for 25 years and NOW they come one night and get all kinds of pats on the back? Sometimes I have that same bad attitude that the elder son had...but I should have a different approach. An approach like the father. I should be so happy they've joined us now! I should make them feel loved and appreciated so that they'll stick around! The elder son doesn't seem to take into account that he's going to have more help with the return of his brother. He hasn't taken the time to learn what this experience may have done for his brother's attitude. He's just focusing on how hurt he feels. I relate to that.

I think the character in this story that I relate to the least is the father. And since he seems to represent God in the parable, that doesn't come as much of a surprise. “What does it take for us to become full of prodigal mercy like this father?” It comes so hard for us and so easy for God.

Perhaps one of the reasons that I find it hard to relate is that I'm not a parent. I can identify with the rebellious child...because THAT I've been. Maybe I haven't squandered much on whores...but I've embraced worldly living on many occasions. Sometimes it is just an attitude thing “why do I work so hard to be good?” “I deserve to live it up and forget about responsibilities.” Or sometimes it is treating friends and family in a thoughtless way. Yep, it is easy to relate to the one who turns from good and righteous living. But how do I find ways to relate to the merciful father?

Let's examine the ways he responds to his sons: #1 – He gives the younger son a chance to try it his way. He didn't have any legal responsibility to give him his part of the estate at that time. And he probably knew it wasn't going to turn out well. But he does it anyway. Without reservation. That must be a hard decision for a parent. To give a child free will to make his or her own choices.

I have a friend who is agnostic. He does not believe in God and does not understand why an intelligent person like myself does believe. For an unbeliever, he sure does ask a lot of questions. One of his persistent questions is about why God doesn't just show himself and clear up the mess that humans make in the world. He gets pretty frustrated when I tell him that God wants us to CHOOSE to be in relationship with him instead of being forced into relationship out of divine fear. Sure...God could have created a bunch of beings to do nothing but worship him...but how boring would that have become? He gave us free will to choose to be in direct relationship. And yes, we often want things that he knows are not likely to be good for us. Why does the father in the story let the younger son have this money and freedom? He doesn't want his sons to be slaves to him – he wants them to grow in knowledge and be able to take over the estate. He gives the younger son the chance to try himself in the world.

The second way that he responds to his sons is with mercy when the younger son returns in humility. The prodigal son doesn't even get his speech started. He's been practicing it the whole way home...but the father is so overjoyed at his return, he says, “we can talk about that later...right now, you are home and I am exceedingly glad. There's nothing more important than celebrating your return.” That reaction resonates with me. I have experienced that mercy from my earthly parents. One story comes to mind – I was working on a production of the Pirates of Penzance at the Lynchburg Fine Arts Center. It was closing night and there was a cast party scheduled. The next day I was going to drive my younger sister to Raleigh for a visit, so I told my mom that I was just going to make a quick appearance at the party but would be home before late. This was way before cell phones were common. One thing led to another and I ended up falling asleep...waking only as the sun was coming up. I think I was much like the prodigal son – all the way home I was rehearsing my apology. My worst fears were realized when I pulled in the driveway and saw my mother come out the door. She was scared. She was upset. She was relieved. The one thing that she didn't show me was anger. She embraced me and was happy for my return. Later, we talked about how awful that night was for her. And how glad she was when she saw my yellow VW bug coming down the hill.

Don't you think that father's heart was breaking when he saw the son heading out on his great adventure? He was scared and worried – but he gave the incredible gift of giving his son free rein. And through the years he was missing from home, the father desired his return. And when he saw him coming, nothing was more important than celebrating his return.

When one of God's children turns away from the fold – he wants nothing more than their return. And patiently he waits and worries. And when that child returns, all of heaven celebrates.

Then the father has to deal with the one who has stayed faithful. The older son who has continued to work and care for the estate. Personally, if I was the father in the story, I would have let the older son stalk off and lick his wounds and be a brat. But the father pursues him and tries to get him to understand. He hears the complaint (Dad, I've stayed and worked faithfully and you never threw me a party! Why would you honor my brother who took your generosity and squandered it?) and he tells him that this is an event worth rejoicing!

Jesus tells this story in direct response to some religious leaders grumbling that Jesus was welcoming sinners and eating with them. Yes, guilty as charged. But the stories of the Lost Sheep, Lost Coin and Lost Son reveal something more. They reveal the concern of the religious leaders was utterly perverse. It pictured a God who was more ready to kick people out than welcome them, much less welcome them while they are “a long way off.” Their piety was consequently one of judgment and exclusion, sacrifice and not mercy. The vision of God Jesus offers in all three stories is of one who does everything possible to make sure whatever is lost is found and to rejoice in the finding. God’s mercy is not laxness, but love. This mercy of God at work in us converts us into people who will go running after the lost even while they are a long way off, not out of compulsion, but out of the joy of love.

God is bent toward mercy, toward loving kindness. As the Spirit poured out upon us and into us at baptism transforms us, we also become as bent toward mercy as the father in this story. But that transformation takes time and effort.

The third character in the story – the younger son – is the easiest to relate to for us. It is the combination of all our humanness. The desire to go our own way, to say to the Father, I can handle this. I'm going to take over running my life – I don't need you. It is also a story of our human wants – let's not worry about tomorrow. Saving and working and being responsible isn't all that fun. Let's just do what feels good. We want fun and good food and parties and we can be pretty selfish sometimes. I'm pointing the finger directly at myself here, too.

But what happens when we realize that self-centered life feels pretty empty after awhile. When the money ran out – all of the prodigal son's fair-weather friends drifted away. He was left alone and a great famine swept over the land and even his base human needs weren't unfulfilled. He had to take a demeaning job caring for pigs...and even they had more to eat than he did. Life hit rock bottom.

Here's where things turned around. But why? Because of a shift in attitude. It began with realizing that even the lowest servants at his father's estate were better fed than he was. He knew it was time to go home. But how? Like that morning that I woke up and realized I had messed up so bad, but had to go home and face it

His attitude was now one of humility. His plan was to go to his father and beg him for a job as a hired hand. He did not head home expecting to be a full part of the family again. He just wanted to return. So he starts figuring out what he is going to say. And it is all about telling his father how unworthy he is.

That is where I relate the most. I'm real good at telling God how unworthy I am. I'm pretty good at telling others that I'm unworthy also. But I excel at telling myself how unworthy I am. I am an expert at pointing out my faults. God says, “I love you.” I say, “but you know I don't read my Bible every day.” God says, “I love you.” I say, “but I should stop gossiping.” God says, “I love you.” and I say, “but I am so imperfect. I'll be loveable some day...but not today.” and God says, “I love you.” He wants no part in my self-hate. Like the father in the story, he's just not going to stop loving me.

God seems to be an unwilling participant in our efforts to pigeonhole Him. The minute we think we've arrived at the most expansive sense of who God is, “this Great, Wild God,” breaks through our own articulation and things get large again. The more we allow ourselves to be loved – to turn home with humility – the more God is willing to embrace us, not despite our messy selves...but embracing that part of us too.

Father Greg Boyle in his book “Tattoos on the Heart” tells a story of a gang member named Scrappy. He and Scrappy have encountered each other in some messy situations including a time that Scrappy pulled a gun on Father Greg. I pick up the story when Scrappy unexpectedly shows up at G's office (the homies call Father Boyle “G” or “Pastor G”).

He sits and wastes no time. 'Look, let's just be honest with each other and talk man to man. You know that I've never disrespected you.”

I figured, “why not, I'm gonna go for it.” “Well, how 'bout the time you walked out on my homily at Cuko's funeral? ...or the time you pulled a cuete out on me?”

Scrappy looks genuinely perplexed by what I've said and cocks and scrunches his face like a confused beagle. “Yeah, well...besides that,” he says.

Then we do something we never have in our two decades of knowing each other. We laugh. But really, truly laugh – head-resting-on-my-desk laughter. We carry on until this runs its course, and then Scrappy settles into the core of his being, beyond the bravado of his status in his gang.

I have spent the last twenty years building a reputation for myself...and now...I regret...that I even have one.

And then another first...he cries. But really, truly cries. He is doubled over, and the rocking seems to sooth the release of this great ache. When the wailing stops and he comes up for air, he daubs his eyes and runs his sleeve across his nose. He finally makes eye contact.

Now what do I do? I know how to sell drugs. I know how to gangbang. I know how to shank fools in prison. I don't know how to change the oil in my car. I know how to drive, but I don't know how to park. And I don't know how to wash my clothes except in the sink of a cell.”

I hire him that day and begins work the next morning on our graffiti crew.

Scrappy discovered, as Scripture has it, “that where he is standing is holy ground.” He found the narrow gate that leads to life. God's voice was not of restriction, “to shape up or ship out.” Scrappy found himself in the center of vastness and in the expansive heart of God. The sacred place where God had nudged Scrappy all his life is not to be arrived at, but discovered.”

Can we all take the opportunity to discover that ourselves? God's love – like the love of the father in the parable – is just waiting for us to turn back to. And that love will wrap around us, fill us and then pour out to everyone we encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment