Refining Fire

This message was first delivered at Cove United Methodist Church in Coleman Falls, Virginia on December 16, 2018. It is based on the lectionary texts of Luke 3:1-6 and Malachi 3:1-4

Malachi 3:1-4 (NRSV) The Coming Messenger

See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me, and the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you delight—indeed, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts. But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears?
For he is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap; he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the descendants of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, until they present offerings to the Lord in righteousness. Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the Lord as in the days of old and as in former years.

Luke 3:1-6 (NRSV) The Proclamation of John the Baptist

In the fifteenth year of the reign of Emperor Tiberius, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was ruler of Galilee, and his brother Philip ruler of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias ruler of Abilene, during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness. He went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah, The voice of one crying out in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth; and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’”

Are you ready for Christmas? That is a question we hear quite often these days, isn't it? But what do people mean when they ask if you are ready for Christmas? Usually mean things like...
Do you have all of your shopping done? (I haven't started)
• Have you finished wrapping all your gifts? (see question 1)
• Have you put up your Christmas tree and all the decorations? It took a while. I bought it two Sundays ago but didn't get lights or decorations on it until this past Monday when I got snowed in.
• Have you sent your Christmas cards? (not for years)
• Is your house clean and ready for visitors? (well...my visitors have come to accept a lower standard. So, that answer would be “it depends on what you mean by clean.”)

Are you ready for Christmas? There is another question that is much more important. "Are you ready for Christ?" In our gospel lesson, we hear the voice of John the Baptist crying out to the people, "Prepare the way...make the crooked roads straight and the rough places smooth." Did John the Baptist really want the people to work on the roads? No, John wanted the people to get ready for the coming of the Messiah. Because the people needed to get their hearts right and return to God. You see, no matter how good people may think they are, there are always some crooked ways and rough places in their lives. Things such as dishonesty, selfishness, pride, jealousy... John wanted the people to make those crooked ways straight and rough places smooth so that Jesus could come and walk among them.

In the scripture from Malachi we hear that the one who is coming will be like the refiner's fire or the cleaner's soap. And the description goes on to say that the one who is coming (the Lord who you are seeking who has come to his temple) will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver. So I just HAD to know more about how silver is refined and purified!

Silver was one of the earliest metals known to humans and has been considered a precious metal since ancient times. Silver utensils and ornaments have been found in tombs in Chaldea, Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, Persia and Greece. Modern silver processing is often chemical or electrolytic but the process in biblical times was a bit more crude. Silver generally occurs in ore combined with other materials – so lead sulfide ore, which was rich in silver is crushed and sifted and then smelted – that is, heated until the molten silver can be separated from the lead and other impurities. A blast of air over the surface changes the lead into powdered lead oxide and that is blown away. That is called the lead dross which is used for glazing pottery...but the remaining silver becomes pure.

In my research I found this story: A lady who was leading a Bible study on Malachi visited a silversmith so that she could report to her group on what he said about the subject. She went, and without telling the object of her errand, begged the silversmith to tell her about the process of refining silver.

After he had fully described it to her, she asked, "But Sir, must you sit and watch while the work of refining is going on?"

"Oh, yes madam," replied the silversmith; "I must sit with my eyes steadily fixed on the furnace, for if the time necessary for refining be exceeded in the slightest degree, the silver will be injured."

And she saw the scripture with new perspective, our trials in life are like that refining fire and God is watching over the process; His eye is steadily intent on the work of purifying, and His wisdom and love are both involved as we grow. We can also take comfort that He will not let us be tested beyond what we can endure.

Before she left, the lady asked one final question, "When do you know the process is complete?"

"Why, that is quite simple," replied the silversmith. "When I can see my own image in the silver, the refining process is finished."

When all the other stuff is consumed by the fire and blown away by the refiner...the silver becomes pure and so reflective, it becomes like a mirror. When all that other stuff in our lives is removed then we too can reflect the true nature of the refiner.

When you hear the word “judgment,” what comes to mind? Consequences? Fear? Harsh? Condemnation? What about the word justice? Did you first think of being judged or being in judgment of someone or something else?

I've said it before...and I'm sure that I'll say it again...we are very lucky that we are not in charge of judging – because as humans, we are not very good at it. And Jesus himself guarded us against it – Matthew 7:1 is a scripture that is often quoted and seriously mis-used because it shouldn't be separated from verse 2. Verse 1 does indeed say, Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. And usually when people whip that scriptural defense out – it is because they are not wanting to be on the receiving end of a judgment. But verse 2 gives more perspective. For with the judgment you make, you will be judged. And the measure you give will be the measure you get. Or to quote the Common English Bible – Whatever you deal out will be dealt to you.

Ah. Okay...maybe that's not the measure that I'm comfortable with...

Notice the reason Jesus warns against judgment. The danger in passing judgment on someone is that we’ll have our own standard come back to haunt us, like the spirit of judgments past.

When I condemn someone’s behavior, whether it’s blatantly sinful or just different than my own, I almost NEVER use the proper standard of judgment. I pass judgment according to my own strengths and opinions. For example, take the issue of greed. Since I grew up in such a big family, having enough was enough...I never really felt a need for MORE. I often say that I'm a traitor to my gender because I only own 4 pairs of shoes. Two pairs of sneakers, a pair of sandals and my “church shoes.”

So when I see someone who struggles with something like a shopping addiction, I project myself onto them. I immediately assume that they are sinning, they lack self-control, and that all they need is a bit more discipline.

This is complete sinful nonsense.

When God evaluates that person, he takes into account everything about that person – their biology, sinful tendencies, weaknesses, family history, current struggles, and a thousand other factors. God’s judgment is perfectly just, my judgment is terribly skewed. Without omniscience, all my judgments are going to be off kilter.

For all I know, the person who struggles with greed in my opinion may not be struggling with greed at all! Perhaps the overfilled shopping cart is not even FOR them – they could be buying for a family leaving shelter for their first apartment since becoming homeless...they could be providing for family, friends, or strangers. OR, they may have been neglected as a child and use shopping as a coping mechanism. It could be a circumstance that I have no reference point to whatsoever. I just don't know.

But when God judges a person, his judgment flows out of his omniscience. He knows and understands, that’s why it’s perfect.

When I pass judgment on a person, I’m doing so based on really, really, really limited knowledge. So often I’m blind.

It’s a terrifying thing to think of God judging me based on the way I judge others. So often, my judgment lacks mercy. It lacks compassion. And it lacks knowledge. Do I want to be judged by God and others with the same standard? No! That would be crushing.

This is why Jesus warns about the dangers of judging others. If we’re not careful, we’re going to end up being judged by own crushing standards.

We can and should call out sin. We should stand for righteousness and godliness. We should defend the weak and vulnerable. To seek justice.

But there’s a massive difference between judging arrogantly and judging with humility. 

Arrogant judgment says, “What a despicable, vile, weak person.”
Humble judgment says, “Apart from the redemption of Christ, I’d be joining them, and apart from God, I would lose my salvation. ”

Arrogant judgment says, “I would never do something like that.” 
Humble judgment says, “Though I may not struggle like they do, I sin in other ways.”

Arrogant judgment says, “I’m better than them.”
Humble judgment says, “We both need Christ.”

Jesus said, “Judge not lest ye be judged,” as a gracious warning. If I start playing judge, jury, and executioner to people, I’m going to find myself on the business end of my own standard. That’s a frightening prospect.

So we enter a new mindset where judging is concerned – reacting with compassion. Compassionate judgment seeks to stay faithful to Scripture while also truly loving the person who struggles. To identify the speck in someone else’s eye while simultaneously trying to rip the log out of my own.

Jesus instructed us to be slow to judge and so that our judgment would be tempered by mercy. I love how Rosaria Butterfield says it: We never know the treacherous path that others take to arrive in the pew that we share Lord's Day after Lord's Day. I don't know all that is leading to a person's choices...and the best way for me to understand their choice is to be caring enough to get to know their circumstance before I start figuring out how they should get out of it!

We are not called to be God's Enforcement Squad. We are called to be an embodiment of his LOVE. He does not need us to be his bodyguards – he'd much rather we spent time seeking justice for the oppressed, welcoming the stranger, seeing the shape of God in every person that we encounter. Then we start to see the similarities instead of the differences. We seek kinship. That is a much better use of our time than trying to decide for God who he should love and who he should not. I'm going to trust that delicate work to the refiner because I'm standing over here in need of refining myself.

We are called to approach others with God's mindset – and offer mercy to others. To default to the love part and let the dross be brushed away by the breath of the Holy Spirit. We've got to find ways to let go of our human tendencies of treating others with the judgment and disdain of being better than they are – and using our God minds to see that we are also sinners in need of grace. Then we start to see the world around us in a different way.

An overly simplistic example – for a short time the car I was driving not only had a busted turn signal, after a week or so of rolling down the window to use hand signals, the window crank came off in my hand also. I felt bad every time I could see that my lack of turn signal had caused another driver frustration. After it was fixed though, I found that I was more likely to assume that someone had a broken turn signal when they didn't use it. It wasn't that anything had really changed...I just decided to approach the problem from a different point of view.

But if you apply that sort of thinking to other situations, then you will start to see more opportunities than obstacles, more chances to love and understand. When you see yourself in kinship with others, then you are more aligned with the heart of God than when you waste energy wondering why people can't just do things the way you would do it, since that is obviously the right way?

Christmas is intended to be a transforming event, not a lovely interlude in business as usual. Our time of Advent in preparation for Christmas is our means of getting ready for a new way of looking at life - a new way of living.

Today we lit the candle of Joy. I remember that even as a child I couldn't understand why the pink candle was THIRD! It disturbed the linear thinker in me. I thought it should either be first or fourth...or be the same color as the other three...but why is Joy the third Sunday in advent? And why is the candle pink? And when I was young and performing the duties of the acolyte, I was admonished by very stern ladies to be certain I lit the right one!

Now I've come to really embrace the transition of Advent. We begin with Hope. After waiting for so long – the world, in sin and error...pining... still there was hope. The faithful had not given up. They continued to wait – and to watch. It begins with that hope...

And then we move from hope to love. As I've mentioned before, depending upon the faith community, sometimes Love and Peace are switched. When looking for the graphic on the front of the bulletin I found some with Hope, Peace, Joy and Love...some with Hope, Love, Joy and Peace. I think it is fitting that Love and Peace are interchangeable. If we'd just learn to Love as fully and completely as God does...Peace would be inevitable. And when we are able to experience Peace in the rush of our busy lives and topsy-turvy world...then it is easier to Love.

Now Joy...that is something altogether different! Joy is a bubbling up and overflowing kind of emotion. Peace and Love...those are quieter feelings. Peace and love can be passive – but Joy, that is Action!

The word Joy is used almost two hundred times in the Bible, depending on your translation. We are told repeatedly to be joyful, to be filled with joy and to display our joy. Yet we, as Christians, have trouble being joyful when life on earth can be anything but happy at times. And so we need to remember that joy isn't just about being happy. It’s the ripple effect that comes from trusting God and knowing that no matter what happens to us, HE will walk through the trials with us and take us into victory.

We can only begin to comprehend the love that God has for us. As we grow in our faith we’ll trust Him with our lives. And our hearts become filled with excitement, confidence and trust, and are filled with a feeling of happiness and contentment that is ... joy. And we can't keep it bottled up inside us. We need to express it. Shout it out. If we were at a football game and our team scored a goal, we wouldn’t just sit there and think, “Hurrah!” No! We’d jump up and shout and sing praises to them because we were so happy.

Have you ever met someone who you knew was going through a rough time and yet they didn’t seem to be affected? They gave the problem over to God and trusted Him to get them through it. The joy that’s in their heart will keep them sane and able to handle life through the bad times. We need to find that joy for our own lives. During this season of Advent – embrace Joy. Celebrate the fact the God so loved the world, that he sent his son. And he's coming again. Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment